BAAF matches record number of children with adoptive families
The British Association for Adoption & Fostering (BAAF) is delighted to announce that its services have led to over 1,000 children being matched with adoptive families over the past year.
For the first time in its 34 years of ‘Placing Children First’, BAAF’s family finding services have helped match 1,023 children with adoptive families (period: 2013/14). This is a significant increase, reflecting both the rise in the number of children waiting to be adopted as well as the continued improvement throughout the UK’s adoption services, including more creative matching processes and more effective recruitment and approval of prospective adopters.
BAAF has been at the forefront of adoption linking and matching services for over three decades. Its family finding services include Be My Parent; Adoption Registers in England, Wales and Scotland; Adoption Regional Information System in Northern Ireland; Adoption Activity Days; and Adoption Consortia in Wales and Scotland. The charity continues to innovate in this vital area of social work to minimise the delay in identifying potential adoptive families for the UK’s most vulnerable children.
Barbara Hutchinson, Interim Chief Executive, BAAF said, “This is tremendous news for the children whose lives will be turned around by moving into stable, loving adoptive families. BAAF is proud to have been able to play a major part in bringing this about.”
A breakdown of figures can be found below –
- 432 matches through the Adoption Register for England and Wales
- 87 matches through the Adoption Register for England and Wales Exchange Days
- 160 matches through Be My Parent
- 139 matches through Adoption Activity Days
- 14 matches through the Adoption Regional Information System (ARIS) in Northern Ireland
- 119 matches through the South Wales Adoption Agencies Collaborative (SWAAC)
- 58 matches through the Adoption Register for Scotland
- 14 matches through consortia in Scotland
Notes for editors
1. For more information or to arrange for an interview please call BAAF press office on 020 7421 2632/3 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For out of hours enquiries, call the press office mobile on 07767 444 589.
2. BAAF is the UK’s leading charity for children separated from their birth families. We provide services to meet the needs of some of the UK’s most vulnerable children and young people. BAAF was awarded an overall grade of ‘Outstanding’ in our Ofsted inspection in 2013 (England). In 2012/13 we helped find families for over 700 children through our family finding services, we dealt with many thousands of enquiries from professionals and the public through our UK-wide general enquiries service and we sold over 48,000 books on adoption and fostering. For more information visit www.baaf.org.uk
3. Keep up to date on all the latest fostering and adoption news by following us on Facebook www.facebook.com/BAAFAdoption and Twitter www.twitter.com/BAAFAdoption4. The Register in England now has almost 800 approved adopters. For more information on referring children or adopters contact 0113 279 0070.