Ensuring good transitions into adoption - preparing and supporting children, their foster carers and prospective adopters
Date: 23 May 2017
Conference time: 10.00am - 4.00pm
Closing date for booking: 15/05/2017
SPECIAL CONFERENCE OFFER FOR CORAMBAAF AGENCY MEMBERS
Buy one place and receive a second place for your agency at half price!
This conference will explore the child’s move from foster care into adoption, and the move from one carer to another. Is this being done too quickly? Is the child’s emotional experience central to this? Is better integration needed that is more sensitive to the child’s experience? What can carers, adopters and professionals do to enable the child’s move in a positive way?
We will examine the issues in preparing and supporting children, their foster carers and the prospective adopters during the transition to placement and will explore best practice in managing introductions. It will include learning from research findings on planning transitions and the role of foster carers in transitions to adoption.
Delegates will be able to attend practice based workshops looking at the preparation of children, how to make good introductions, supporting foster carers and their families and preparing adopters for transitions.
All delegates will receive a FREE copy of Ten Top Tips for Making Introductions – CoramBAAF’s popular, practical guide that contains expert advice for all workers involved with moving children on to permanent placements.
This conference was run in London in October 2016, delegates said, ‘it was excellent, very thought provoking, very informative, child centred, a well-planned programme, a good range of speakers and will positively impact practice’. ‘It has reinforced good practice with my agency and provided me with some valuable learning to take back and implement’. The programme has been refreshed to include local speakers and an update on new research.
- Dr Mary Beek, Research Fellow, Centre for Research on Children & Families, UEA
- Lynne Cudmore, Child Psychotherapist
- Julia Davis, Independent Therapist
- Elaine Dibben, Adoption Development Consultant, CoranBAAF
- Voices from adoptive parents and foster carers
Sarah Borthwick, Adoption & Fostering Consultant
By the end of the conference delegates will have:
- examined the issues in preparing and supporting children, their foster carers and the prospective adopters during the transition to placement
- explored best practice in managing introductions
- considered research findings on planning transitions and the role of foster carers in transitions to adoption
- explored practice based workshops looking at the preparation of children, how to make good introductions, supporting foster carers and their families and preparing adopters for transitions
Who should attend
This conference will be of particular interest to children’s services social workers and managers, adoption social workers and managers, fostering social workers, adoption and fostering panel members, foster carers, children’s guardians, independent reviewing officers, adoptive parents and foster carers.
SPECIAL OFFER for agency members - buy one place and receive a second place for your agency at half price
- Corporate or associate CoramBAAF member rate – 1st place at full price: £185 + £37 VAT total: £222
- Corporate or associate CoramBAAF member rate – 2nd place at half price: £92.50 + £18.50 VAT total: £111
- Student or Individual CoramBAAF member rate: £135 + £27 VAT total: £162
- Adoptive parents or foster carers rate: £105 + £21 VAT total: £126
- Non-member rate: £250 + £50 VAT total: £300
*Concessions for care leavers and adopted young people available by negotiation
Telephone: 020 7520 7520