The figures presented below are taken from statistical reports gathered and published by government departments and bodies. Details of sources are provided at the foot of this page.
On 31st July 2018
- 14,738 children were in the care of local authorities.
- 143 - the rate of all looked after children per 10,000 population under 18 years (107 for only those children looked after away from home)
On 31st July 2018:
- 34% (5,058) were living with foster carers (provided or purchased by LA)
- 26% (3,818) of children looked after were living at home with parents
- 28% (4,103) were living with kinship carers (friends and relatives)
- 10% (1,519) were living in residential accommodation
- 1% (190) were living with prospective adopters
321 looked after children were adopted during the year ending 31st July 2018.
Scottish Government: Children's Social Work Statistics Scotland 2017-18
The Scottish statistics include data on children looked after, on the child protection register and in secure care from August 2016 to July 2017. The looked after data is broken down by accommodation type, care plans, numbers starting and ceasing to be looked after, destination on leaving care, pathway plans and aftercare services.