Our legal consultants develop a range of practice notes, briefings and other resources to support our members in their work. They also support the exchange of information about policy and research developments relevant to legal advice and case proceedings at our legal group.
Children needing secure care, caught between the rock of placement shortages and the hard place of regulations
Alexandra Conroy Harris, CoramBAAF's Legal Consultant, reflects on the implications, and unintended consequences, of the amendments to the Care Planning, Placement and Case Reviews Regulations, which come into effect on 9 September 2021.Read more
Coronavirus Legislation Guidance
We have produced the following documents to assist sector practitioners in understanding the impact of Coronavirus-related legislation:
- Summary of The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (Steps) (England) Regulations 2021 (as amended by The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (Steps and Local Authority Enforcement Powers) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2021
- Summary of the Adoption and Children (Coronavirus) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2020
- Obtaining Court Records for Access to Information and Intermediary work during the Covid-19 pandemic
- Unlawful placements, unregulated placements and 'other arrangements'
- CoramBAAF's response to the Law Commission's consultation on the 14th Programme of law reform (31/07/21)
Child care law Wales
This quick reference guide provides a quick introduction to the main legal provisions for the care of children in Wales. Designed to provide a basic framework, it presents a summary of the main statutes, regulations and court rules, with sections on all the main strands of law relating to parents, children and local authority responsibilities.Find out more
Safeguarding Children living with Foster Carers, Adopters and Special Guardians: Learning from case reviews 2007–2019
This good practice guide is based on a UK-wide study of 52 case reviews concerning 98 children who had died or experienced serious harm while living with foster carers, adopters or special guardians It shines a spotlight on the issues particular to this group: the selection and assessment of their carers; the support both children and carers receive; and the supervision and management of such arrangements.Find out more