CORE COURSE OUTLINE. Visit our learning events programme to see full details of our future workshops, conference and seminars.
MAKING GOOD ADOPTION ASSESSMENTS
Assessing social workers need to meet the statutory requirements as well as those of adoption panels. Applicants want to know that their "story" is represented fairly and accurately, and at the same time there is a duty to safeguard vulnerable children. This course will equip participants with the knowledge and skills to conduct and manage the adoption assessment process so that the best outcomes are achieved for all.
Who should attend?
- Adoption social workers
- Adoption team managers
- Adoption panel members
Participants will be able to:
- Explore best practice in the completion of the Prospective Adopter's Report
- Offer clarity around the two stage assessment framework
- Improve understanding of the need for rigorous checks and references
- Explore ways of assessing applicants' motivation to adopt
- Introduce a range of tools for use in assessments
- Address issues of difference and diversity
- Explore the impact of personal values and assumptions on the assessment process
- Apply learning to current practice
- Apply learning in the context of current Adoption Agencies Regulations, statutory adoption guidance and National Minimum Standards for adoption