CORE COURSE OUTLINE. Visit our learning events programme to see full details of our future workshops, conference and seminars.
The Secure Base Model provides a theoretical framework for the development of secure attachment in children. The concept that underpins it can be extended to include the benefits arising from the security of belonging to, and becoming part of, a new family. This course will develop participants' knowledge of the Secure Base Model as well as their competence in using it during the assessment process, in preparing applicants, and in evidencing and analysing prospective carers' potential to meet the needs of children and young people.
Who should attend?
- Social workers with responsibility for undertaking fostering and adoption assessments
- Social workers who supervise and support fostering and adoption placements
Participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate competence in their knowledge of the key dimensions of the Secure Base Model
- Relate the dimensions of the Model to the needs of children and young people in the looked after system
- Apply the Model's dimensions in fostering and adoption assessments
- Evidence and analyse how prospective foster carers and adopters demonstrate an ability to provide a Secure Base to children and young people in each of the Model's dimensions
- Apply the concept of the Model in offering post-placement support and supervision to foster carers and adopters