Our Annual Members’ Day will take place on Thursday 1 October!
This year our free event for agency members will celebrate 40 years of our work together!
In acknowledgement of our anniversary, the theme will be “looking back – looking forward”. Paul Curran, Chair of CoramBAAF’s Board of Trustees, will host the event, which will provide an opportunity for members, CoramBAAF staff and invited speakers to share views on the most pressing issues facing family placement services, and to help shape how we can best support our members in tackling them.
The event (10.35am–3.15pm with a lunch break) will be delivered remotely via Zoom, which will enable more people to join us than ever before.
- Jenny Coles, President of the Association of Directors of Children’s Services (ADCS), will focus on how lessons from the past should shape future work.
- Dr John Simmonds, CoramBAAF’s Director of Policy, Research and Development, will share what he learned from revisiting 40 years of our Adoption & Fostering journal to select articles for the special 40th anniversary supplement.
- Dr Louise Sims, CoramBAAF’s Kinship Care and Fostering Consultant, will highlight the changed significance of kinship care, and showcase new video material from collaboration with Lancaster University and Grandparents Plus.
Other speakers will cover:
- How Black Lives Matter in family placement.
- Adoption support, including lessons from “lockdown” (Professor Elsbeth Neil, University of East Anglia).
There will be opportunities for members to interact with the speakers.
This year, we are able to offer three places per agency, on a first come, first served basis, although we will ensure that each agency has at least one place. Invitations were sent out to our member agency linkpeople early in September. We are keen that representatives across agencies have the chance to attend, including social workers in care planning roles, alongside family placement specialists.
The event can be put towards Continuing Professional Development for social work practitioners. Certificates of attendance will be available.
If you have any queries about the event, or if you have not seen the invitation but would like to attend, please contact the Membership Team.